Friday, April 30, 2010

The Frenchies

*The following post get's put in the category of waitressing moments*
Today Pizza Factory was quite steadily busy. I like days like this. I was just minding my own business doing my job when I got sat a table of eight. I went over to them and right away I knew something was different with them. They were French! And only spoke French! This was going to be interesting! I asked them all if I could get them something to drink. They all wanted water, they requested their water be "plain water, no gas, no ice, no bowl." I interpreted this as "regular water, not carbonated, with no ice, in a glass." And that was only the beginning of our language barrier adventure. I took their waters out to them just as they had requested and they started yelling "wee wee" I was very happy that they were happy with my interpretations. Now it was time to order food. One lady looked at me and pointed to the pasta sauce list and said, "tomato?" I answered, "marinara." She smiled and said, "for me, spaghetti with tomato, small." The next thing I knew I was being bombarded with about five people shouting "me too! me too!" OK, so about four or five orders of "1/2 plate spaghetti with marinara." I can handle that. One man ordered a "mene" (mini) BBQ pizza. One man ordered a, "no meat calzone". One of the ladies wanted a Caesar salad. Her and her friends trying to decided how to pronounce Caesar was probably one of the funnier moments! That one took me a while to figure out! And my favorite man out of them all had to have a "big spaghetti with tomato and meat" my interpretation, "full plate of spaghetti with meat sauce."
I put their order in the computer, and when it came out I took it out to them hoping I would get "wee wee's" so I knew I had done it right. Gratefully, I did! They were all very happy with what had come from their great ordering skills!
But, that's not the end of it. If you've ever been in PF in Cedar you know that there are stained glass windows with pictures of our food. The bread sticks are hard to miss! My favorite guy saw them on the window. Pointed to them and looked at me and said, "what?" I responded, "bread". He said, "bring." I said "one bread, one dollar." He held up his pointer finger and his thumb and said "two." I said "OK." "wee wee's" filled the room once again as I took out their two bread sticks! By then they had devoured their whole meal. Everyone was very happy from what I could tell.
As they were leaving I think all of them held my hand at one point and said "Merci" I said "you're welcome" and they all smiled! My favorite guy came into the back, found me, handed me a five dollar bill, said "merci" and shook my hand. He was adorable!
Pretty sure they made my day! I like those little traveling french people. If all my tables that I have everyday were as nice as them I could handle the language barrier with no problems!

2 comments:

  1. haha I loved reading this.. I'm impressed they tipped you, most of the european people are really nice but I don't think they know to tip.. SO you must have been great! Good job my friend. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh kayla you little waitress you! Since you are obviously so fantastic at French translation it has inspired me for our summer adventure! Are you ready!!!! Drum roll please..................................................................FRANCE!!!!! That would be so fun! Say yes! Please! You can translate and we will have no problems at all, AND I bet we could find something else spectacular there....in similitude of MaryKate and Ashley, I think you know what I mean haha

    ReplyDelete

Followers